This is the month of Corn Moon, marking the time of year for harvests. It’s also known as Sturgeon Moon, Blueberry Moon, and Full Green Corn Moon; all marking the importance of abundance with food.
Some August Activities:
Have a feast. This is the most traditional (and fun) activity to have in any month to celebrate harvests. Have a potluck and invite friends/family to share in the bounty.
Clearing out clutter. This is a great time to clean off your alter and switch to an autumn theme. This sort of activity also should include cleansing of tools, to clean physically as well as spiritually.
When cleaning out alter tools, you might want to see if items need a new home. Things I don’t use often find themselves to someone else who needs them.
Try baking something new. The act of baking, mixing, measuring, and stirring can add magic to our food.
Add sigils to pie crusts (for fruit or pot pies)
Make a bread cornucopia– A fun way to serve bread. This is the ‘horn of plenty’, a symbol of abundance and nourishment. Fill with produce, nuts, and flowers.
Offer sacrifices. Making offering can be anything from a libation poured on the ground thanking the gods, but consider these ideas;
- Volunteer to help others to honor the god/dess
- Make promises to them for a month such as being kind to others, giving money to a jar you’ll give to charity, etc.
- Burn incense in their honor with a prayer of gratitude
- Food, which was very popular in Greek/Roman times. Make the food yourself such as pastries or herb mixes, and leave out as offerings.
- Songs, dance, art- I went to a pagan festival and a woman gave a song she wrote herself as an offering. Another woman offered a lovely dance. Others left notes of promises they would keep as offerings.
If you like this post, please ‘like’ and ‘share’, and subscribe. Post questions, comments or your own ideas on offerings or how you celebrate the month of August.
Posted in Book of Shadows, Esbat (Moon), prayer, Recipes, Spells, Tips, Tuesday Tip, wicca
Tagged activities, august, corn, craft, harvest, ritual, sacrifice
A new moon spell I heard about was The Abundance Check spell. It goes like this;
- Use one of your checks, or print one out, or even sketch one on paper.
- Fill out your name at Pay to the Order of-
- In the dollar amount, put “paid in full’
- Where you write out the dollar amount, put “paid in full’
- Leave the date blank.
- Sign the check “Law of Abundance”
- Under that write ‘thank you thank you thank you’
- Keep the check on your alter or in your wallet.
You can look up a number of ways of using this spell, including printables. Or you can download my version here; Click here to download the PDF file.
I wanted to start sharing videos, graphics, and other neat things that I feel tie into spiritualism. Today’s share is a short CGI film entitled Anima, about a Native American hunting in a mysterious forest. The quality of animation is lovely, but I love how it ends as well.
If you enjoyed, please leave a comment to let me know if you want more links like this. I’d be happy to post.
I’m also setting up for myself a blog schedule, but this type of post will be random, so subscribe if you want to see more.