This might seem an odd question to put out there to ask my fellow pagans but as one who constantly delves into my own psyche and figure out why I do the things I do, I think its important we discuss the topic a bit at length.
Knowing yourself is more than just understanding the surface facts about who you are as a person. It dives deep into the sub conscious, explores our motivations, and takes a good, hard look at who we are and who we want to be.
To work magick, means to also understand what works best for us. For instance, if you want money, you need to understand what’s motivating your need. Perhaps its not money after all, but a career, or perhaps you want the items or services that money brings into your life. If you wish for love, perhaps you need companionship more in the way of friendship, or perhaps you need to understand the quirks that might prevent someone from staying in your life.
We need to understand our Darkness as much as what makes us Bright. We are beings of many parts, including flaws and moments that we are not at our best. Wiccans/witches strive to balance ourselves, to find the best path towards growth for our chosen path in Life.
Here are some tips:
- Be aware of your emotional and physical state. Sometimes nervous habits indicate stresses we’re not aware, such as nail biting or hair twirling. Do you get frequent headaches or feel pain? Do you take care of yourself? Do you take action to find ways to lessen stress or deal with the pain.
- Take stock of your faults. We all have them, and its ok to have faults. Its when these issues start holding us back from evolving where you need to dissect the cause of those faults and to overcome them. I used to bite my nails, and I often have moments where I just want to curl up under the covers and not come out. Its best to recognize what the faults are, how they impact our lives (and those around us) and seek out resolutions to those issues so we find balance.
- Listen to your intuition. It is said we already have the answers within to our questions, but are often muddled up with emotion, desire, confusion, fear, etc. Check your intuition from time to time, who is not blinded by the chaos in our heads.
- Journal regularly. You can either use pen or pencil, or type up a journal, but I find journaling very cathartic in working out problems or the confusion in my life. Its also a great record of your moods and thought processes over time.
- Accept you’ll change over time. We evolve. That’s a natural process in life. We live. We learn. We grow, and experiences with mold and shape us into something new. We can still decide if that means we’re stronger and better, or weaker and shattered?
What do you think? Do you feel you know yourself pretty well? Post in comments. (or blog and add a link) I’d love to hear from you.